If you are passionate about helping Young People here is your chance.
Mentors are currently required by Big Brothers Big Sisters in Manawatu.
WHY BECOME A MENTOR?
Researchers found that after 18 months of spending time with their mentors, when compared with their peers Little Brothers and Sisters were:
- 46% less likely to start using drugs
- 27% less likely to start drinking
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school
- More confident in their schoolwork performance
- Able to get along better with their families
- One third less likely to hit someone.
In addition, a 1999 evaluation of BBBS agency school-based mentoring programs revealed that:
64% of students developed a more positive attitude toward school
58% achieved higher grades
55% were better able to express their feelings
64% had higher levels of self-confidence
62% were more likely to trust their teachers
HOW TO BECOME A MENTOR.
Please contact Big Brothers Big Sister in Manawatu if you can assist